Original copper line engraving of Winchester Cathedral, Hampshire from the ruins of Wolvesey Palace from Cathedral Churches, published 1813.

1 in stock

SKU: S50c Categories: , ,




Published by Sherwood, Neely & Jones, Paternoster Row, Sept. 1 1813

Drawn by H. Storer : Engraved by J. Storer

An original copper line engraving from The History and Antiquities of the Cathedral Churches of Great Britain (1812-19) published in II volumesThe print was engraved by the draughtsman and topographer James Sargent Storer who specialised in the illustration of Old English buildings, especially cathedrals. He often worked in conjunction with his eldest son Henry Sargent Storer, who drew the original design for this print.

The framed antique print shows a view towards the north-east side of Winchester Cathedral from the ruins of the medieval castle of Wolvesey. This was a luxurious palace owned by the powerful Bishops of Winchester. The great hall was built in 1138 by Henry of Blois, the brother and chief advisor of King Stephen, as an audience chamber. It was also the setting of the wedding breakfast of Queen Mary and Phillip II of Spain who were married in 1554 in the nearby cathedral. However, the palace was destroyed in 1646 by the roundheads and abandoned in favour of a new palace built in 1684 by Bishop Morley which incorporated the old chapel. This new palace continues to be the Bishop’s residence. 

This print is in a good clean condition and is available presented in an ivory conservation quality mount and framed with a light walnut and red-gold wood frame with acrylic glazing. Price – £30.00.

Approximate dimensions are:

Mount window: 180 x 120 mm

Frame overall size: 280 x 235 mm

Additional information

Weight 0.5 kg