Cerne Abbey was founded in the C9th and re-founded in the C10th as St Augustine’s Benedictine monastery. It was rebuilt in the C15th – C16th and the Abbot’s Porch was built by the last Abbot Thomas Salmon in 1509 shortly before the Dissolution.

The Tudor porch of three storeys was once the main access to the Hall buildings and the fine two storey oriel window (projecting bay) is carved with animals and the escutcheons of families from the neighbourhood.Read the rest